Although tattoos are almost mainstream nowadays how much we really know about this phenomenon that is around 6,000 years old? Here are some number from the world of tattoos:
- 17% of those who have tattoos, regret them. The most often reason for regret is “It's a name of another person”.
- United States have more than 20,000 tattoo parlors. This number grows by one every day.
- Term “Tattoo” became the number ones search term on the Internet in 2002.
- Of those who have tattoos, 70% have more than one tattoo and 20% have more than five.
- 36% of Americans between the age of 18 and 29 have at least one tattoo.
- 72% of adults with tattoos have tattoos that are usually hidden by clothing.
- More women regret their tattoos than men.
- In 2012, 21% of Americans had one or more tattoos. That is around 45 million people in US alone.
- Statistics from 2005 said that of all people that American Society of Dermatological Surgery treats with lasers, only 6% of them are treated for tattoo removal.
- 30% of all college graduates in United States have tattoos.
- 35% of those between 30 and 39 years in the United Kingdom have tattoos.
- The most common place for a tattoo in women is ankle (27%) and in men is upper back shoulder (34%).
- 5% of those that don't like their tattoos decide to cover it with another tattoo instead to remove it.
- In Australia, 47% of tattoos that are removed with a Q-switched laser, require up to 10 sessions to be successfully removed. 26% of tattoos require more than 15.
- In United States 11% of those that have tattoos are from 50 to 64 years old.
- Small tattoos cost around $45 while larger cost around $150 per hour of work.
- United States citizens spend 1.65 billion dollars a year on tattoos.
- 31% of those that have tattoo feel that tattoo made them sexy, 29% feel that it made them (or shows them as) rebellious, while 5% feels that a tattoo shows them as intelligent.
- The most searched language as an inspiration for tattoos is Japanese.
- When looking to get a tattoo 49% of those who get a tattoo consider reputation of tattoo artist or tattoo studio as a most important factor, 43% need a tattoo with a personal meaning, and only 8% consider a price as a most important factor.
- In the U.S., 15 % of men and 13% of women have tattoos.
- 42% of people think that tattoos don't make people any more or less attractive. 24% think that they make and 22% think that they don't.
- 36% of military veterans and those that currently serve the Army in United States have tattoos.
- 69% of people don't see people with tattoos any more or less deviant than people without tattoos.
32% of people with tattoos claim that they are addicted to ink.
(Info from HistoryofTattoos.net)